In this example, I’m going to update a SPARC T4-1 to firmware version 8.9.10
1. Check for the latest version of firmware at this URL:
The following table is displayed showing the firmware updates for the entire SPARC family:
2. Scroll down to locate your server.
Click on the most recent update in the table. For the T4-1, the most recent update is 152475-08
Click on the link in the table, sign into Oracle’s support site and download the update as a .zip file to the SPARC server that you will be updating.
3. On the Solaris SPARC server, unzip the update and the following files are listed:
root:~/152475-08# ls -l total 34939 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79283 Aug 27 15:04 152475-08.html -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 72 Aug 27 15:04 copyright -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4033 Aug 27 15:04 Install.info -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 725 Aug 27 15:04 LEGAL_LICENSE.TXT -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 713 Aug 27 15:04 license.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1350 Aug 27 15:04 metadata.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57773 Aug 27 15:04 README.152475-08 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17575122 Aug 27 15:04 Sun_System_Firmware-8_9_10-SPARC_T4-1.pkg -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16596 Aug 27 15:04 sysfwdownload -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9931 Aug 27 15:04 sysfwdownload.README
The Sun_System_Firmware-8_9_10-SPARC_T4-1.pkg file is the firmware update file.
4. Use the sysfwdownload utility which is delivered with the update to install the update. The README file contains information on the options available to this utility. The sysfwdownload -h command will also display help.
Install the update as follows:
# ./sysfwdownload -u Sun_System_Firmware-8_9_10-SPARC_T4-1.pkg
- The update gets sent to the service processor, the OS shuts down and the service processor stops (powers off).
- The ssh network connection to ILOM will disconnect.
- After a few minutes, the service processor will start the system (start /SYS).
- After approx. 10 minutes (or wait until you hear the server power on), connect back to the ILOM with ssh and you should be able to login and verify the update as follows:
-> show /HOST/ sysfw_version /HOST Properties: sysfw_version = Sun System Firmware 8.9.10 2018/04/19 12:16
Or, from the OS shell prompt, type:
[email protected]:~/152475-08# ./sysfwdownload -g 8.9.10