Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration
This book teaches the system administrator the basic and intermediate topics in Oracle Solaris 11 system administration. This book also prepares the reader for the Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration Certified Professional Exam 1Z0-821 including the upgrade exam, 1Z0-820. It's the most up to date reference on Solaris 11.1 and the certification exams that has been published.
Publisher: Prentice Hall: June, 2013 ISBN: 978-0-13-300710-7 720 pages Author: Bill Calkins
Covers all of the objectives for the 1Z0-821 Sun Certification Exam
$49.99 + shipping (In Stock)
US Orders only please
- Chapter 1 Installing Oracle Solaris 11
- Chapter 2 Managing and Updating Software with IPS
- Chapter 3 Boot and Shutdown Procedures for SPARC and x86-Based Systems
- Chapter 4 Administering Storage Devices
- Chapter 5 Administering ZFS File Systems
- Chapter 6 Administering Zones
- Chapter 7 User and Security Administration
- Chapter 8 Managing System Processes
- Chapter 9 The Oracle Solaris Network Environment
- Chapter 10 Network File Systems
This book covers all of the topics necessary to effectively install and administer a Solaris 11 system. When used as a study guide, this book will save you a great deal of time and effort searching for information you will need to administer Solaris 11 on SPARC and x86 based systems. This book covers each topic in enough detail for inexperienced administrators to learn about Solaris 11and apply the knowledge to real-life scenarios. Experienced readers will find the material complete and concise, making it a valuable reference for everyday tasks. Drawing from my years of experience as a senior Solaris administrator and consultant, you’ll find new ideas and see some different approaches to system administration that probably were not covered in your Solaris administration training courses.
You might be familiar with my Solaris certification training guides and exam prep books which have been published over the past 15 years. I am a Solaris Subject Matter Expert for Oracle. I participate in the development of the Oracle Solaris 11 certification exams and have made certain that the topics covered on the exam are covered in this book. But, rather than stopping at simply an exam prep book, I have gone to great effort to ensure that all tasks that you need to perform are covered beyond what is simply required to pass the exam.
Experienced Solaris administrators will find many welcome enhancements in Solaris 11, but they will also find Solaris 11 is vastly different from previous versions of the operating system. Oracle has added new features and in some cases, completely redesigned some of the functions you may have used on a daily basis. To eliminate the frustration of learning a new environment, I describe new solutions for performing familiar tasks.
Welcome to the Solaris 11 community and don’t forget to visit my blog at http://www.unixed.com/blog where I answer your questions and discuss various topics related to Solaris administration.
Click here to view the TOC for the book.
This book is designed for anyone who has a basic understanding of UNIX or Linux and wants to learn more about administering an Oracle Solaris 11 system. Whether or not you plan to become certified, this book is the starting point to becoming an Oracle Solaris system administrator. It contains the same training material that I use in my Oracle Solaris System Administration classes. This book covers the basic as well as the advanced system administration topics you need to know before you begin administering the Oracle Solaris 11 operating system. The goal was to present the material in an easy-to-follow format, with text that is easy to read and under stand. The only prerequisite is that you have used UNIX or Linux, you have attended a fundamentals UNIX or Linux class for users, or you have studied equiva lent material so that you understand basic UNIX commands and syntax. Before you begin administering Oracle Solaris, it's important that you have actually used UNIX orLinux.
This book is also intended for experienced system administrators who want to become certified, update their current Oracle Solaris certification, or simply learn about the Oracle Solaris 11operating environment.
Below are links that will be helpful to you as you use my books to learn about Solaris 11.
- Errata - This link will provide errata that has been reported by my readers. Currently, there is no errata.
- Discussion forum - Join my discussion forum and ask questions, get answers regarding Solaris 11. I'm very active in this forum answering questions regarding Solaris 11 and my book.
- Bill's blog - I use this blog to provide tutorials for frequently asked questions and I provide study tips for those taking the Solaris 11 certification exam.
- Practice Exams - When I'm finished with them, I'll provide self assessment exams for those of you that want to pursue Solaris certification.
- Study Tips - Study tips for those taking the Oracle Solaris 11 System Administrator Certification Exam