Solaris 10 Boot Camp Training
For Solaris 10 version 1/13 (update 11)
Prerequisite: Prior System Administration Experience / Solaris Essentials
Length: 5 Days (12 hours per day)
The Oracle Solaris Certified System Administrator Exam (SCSA)
5 day course for the 1Z0-877 Exam - Solaris 10 System Administration Part 1
5 day course for the 1Z0-878 Exam - Solaris 10 System Administration Part 2
To become a Certified Solaris 10 System Administrator, you need to pass two exams - part 1 (1Z0-877) and part 2 (1Z0-878). For those of you that have been certified on a previous version of Solaris, you'll only take the upgrade exam (1Z0-879). Although each exam has less than 60 questions, don't take it lightly, each exam covers a great deal of material. So much, in fact, that I've developed a 1 week course for each exam. If you have no prior experience on Solaris, but some UNIX experience, I recommend that you take the full two weeks of training. The courses are as follows:
The Oracle Solaris Certified Associate Exam (SCSAS)
If you are new to UNIX and Solaris, before attempting the SCSA certification, you may want to consider the Solaris Certified Associate Exam (SCSAS). This is an entry level certification. It will test your knowledge of basic commands in the Solaris environment. Those of you with a good working knowledge of UNIX should be able to pass this exam quite easily. Use my CX-310-105 practice exam to prepare. I recommend that you take this exam first for the following reasons:
- It will ensure that you meet all of the prerequisites for my Solaris 10 System Administration Part 1 course.
- You'll get familiar with the format of the more complex SCSA exams.
- You'll have one more Solaris certification than most of your peers
The recommended training course for the SCSAS exam is the Solaris 10 Essentials Course (3 days). I offer this course as a self-study, online in my virtual classroom, or onsite, classroom style.
The Solaris 10 Certified System Administrator (SCSA) Boot Camp
I've taken all 10 days of material from my Solaris 10 System Administration courses, part 1 and part 2, to create a 5 day (12 hr) bootcamp. This course is not for everyone. Typically, those that have some prior experience using Solaris 8 or 9 will take this course. I've even had administrators with no Solaris experience, but had years of experience on another flavor of UNIX. This course is not for those of you that have no experience. Here's what we will cover in this bootcamp:
- System Startup and Shutdown Procedures – SPARC-based and x86-based Systems
- GRUB – Grand Unified Bootloader
- Service Management Facility (SMF)
- Installing the Solaris 10 Software
- Managing Local Disk Devices
- Managing File Systems
- Mounting and Unmounting File Systems
- Introduction to the ZFS File System
- The Solaris Network Environment
- System Security
- Administering User Accounts
- Software Package Administration
- Managing Software Patches on the Solaris 10 OS
- Controlling System Processes
- Backup and Recovery
- Remote administration with the Solaris Management Console software
- Manage virtual file systems and core dumps
- Manage storage volumes (SVM)
- Control access and configure system messaging
- Configure role-based access control (RBAC)
- Set up name services
- Introduction to LDAP
- Perform advanced installation procedures (Flash archive, JumpStart and WAN boot)
- Install the OS on a mirrored ZFS root pool
- Perform a Solaris Live Upgrade
- Perform a Solaris Flash installation
- Understand and administer Zones and Containers.
- Use the Solaris Resource Manager with Zones
- Migrate a UFS root file system to a ZFS root pool
"Probably the best training I've had - instructor wrote the books and knew it inside and out."
- Cynthia C., Sabre Systems Inc.
"This is as great as it gets for studying for these two tests. I refuse to go through the "Brain Dumps" and want to pass the tests the best way possible. Thanks again."
- Kurt G., US Navy
“Bill has been providing UNIX training classes for my company for several years. He has a deep knowledge of the subject matter and is an excellent instructor. He always gets great reviews from the students. Additionally, Bill is very flexible about customizing his materials and classes for us. He is thorough, detail-oriented, and follows through on his commitments. I highly recommend Bill and look forward to our next engagement.”
- IT Training/Development Manager, Meijer
“Bill Calkins wrote the book! I have a dog eared copy of Inside Solaris, and the System Admin Certification Training Guide. Both are invaluable to the Solaris community. Now imagine learning Unix in person with the author as your instructor. The book comes to life! I have had customers all over the world request Bill Calkins classes. Each and every time the results were the same; amazed, excited, and extremely positive. From consulting large multi-cultural/multi-organizational corporations to one on one mentoring, there is no one better equipped to bring order to the chaos. I highly recommend Bill Calkins for your next project .”
- National Account Manager, Web Age Solution
"I wanted to thank you again for sending us Bill. What an instructor he is! He knows his stuff, worked with the students, if he didn't know something he researched and discussed the next day, etc. Our folks absolutely LOVED him (and they aren't easy to please). They are IT folks and are extremely tough on instructors. We are very pleased and wanted to say thank you again."
- Training Coordinator, IT University, Progressive Insurance